Wednesday, August 13, 2008

From start to finish


I thought I would show the step by step process I used to make my latest baby blanket. This Wonder Dreams blanket was crocheted in blue and green cotton yarn, with a white trim. All knit or crochet projects begin the same way, with a ball of yarn and a needle or hook. In this case a 5mm crochet hook and several balls of Bernat Cottontots yarn.





The blanket is made up of 25 6"x6" squares; 9 blue, 4 green, and 12 granny squares that are a combination of blue and green with a white edge.




Once all the squares were made, I crocheted them together with white yarn to form strips 5 squares long. They could also have been sewed together, but I prefer the look of the crocheted border around each square. I ended up with 5 strips that then had to be joined to form the body of the blanket. I then crocheted a white border around the entire blanket.






If you ask most knitters or crocheters (or hookers as we are known) what they like least about their craft, most of them would say, "weaving in the ends". I am no different, this was the most time consuming part of this project. As you can see in the photo there were ALOT of ends to weave in. The more color changes there are, the more ends there are too. I hope this makes you appreciate all the work that goes into making something that has many different colors. It would have been harder for me if all the squares were granny squares instead of plain. I have made many blankets with all granny squares and it has taken days just to weave in the ends.




It was worth all the effort, here is the finished product a 31"x31" baby blanket.

2 comments:

The Colorful Bee said...

Awesome Blanket! I love it.

Jane said...

It´s the sweetest babyblanket I ever saw. Very very cute and beautiful.